A 34-year-old woman died after an allergic reaction that may have been caused by the glue in her weave.

Atasha Graham had been using hair extensions for over ten years, but in May 2011 her life was cut short by what doctors are saying may be down to traces of glue or solvent seeping into her bloodstream.

Graham had been dancing at a club where her boyfriend, Fenton Johnson, was the DJ. Johnson said she was fine until they returned to their south-east London home where she collapsed and stopped breathing at 6.30am. Graham was rushed to the hospital but never properly regained consciousness and died.

The inquest heard how Graham had been drinking Hennessy and Red Bull hours before she died, but the small amount of alcohol that was found in her body was ruled out as the cause of death.

Jamaican born Graham did not have any history of food allergies, neither were any kind of drugs found in her system.

Home Office pathologist Michael Heath told the inquest into her death that the latex glue used to apply her extensions or the solvent for removing old ones, may have been to blame.

He said:

I’ve seen cases where people using solvent to apply extensions has actually caused anaphylactic shock. There are about ten to 20 deaths a year in this country, many more in America. I have seen four in the last three months.’

The coroner recorded a verdict of death by natural causes.