A mother whose two-year-old son drank cannabis fertiliser disguised as a blackcurrant Fruit Shoot soft drink while she slept in her bed smiled and joked as she left court yesterday, having been spared a jail sentence.
24-year-old Lauren Booth’s son Aaron, who hadn’t had anything to drink since the previous day, mistook a bottle of poisonous plant fertiliser for a drink, died from internal burns when his throat disintegrated 11 days after.
Evidence that Booth from Huddersfield was growing cannabis in her house was found on a laptop and notebook that was seized by police when the house was searched.
Judge Collin Burn said to Booth at Bradford Crown court:
I’m bound to say that Aaron’s death was a prolonged and frankly horrible one. There is no other way to describe it. And it was preventable… By simply moving it along the windowsill and forgetting about it and also by failing to get up in the morning to look after Aaron, knowing that the bottle was in the house, you acted in neglect.
Despite this the mother, who admitted to have been in bed asleep with her boyfriend at the time of the incident, was given a 12 month suspended sentence.
She was pictured smiling leaving court.