A Ghanaian music producer and burn victim who was burned in London’s King cross fire 25 years ago, is bravely speaking about his horrific experience for the very first time.
Kwasi Afari Minta was hit with a scorching 600c fireball in the fire which melted his face and forcefully fused his fingers together back on 18 November, 1987.
Hundreds were trapped underground as black smoke poured through the tunnels of panicking crowds. Trains rushed past platforms without stopping, and 31 people died with another 60 injured.
Kwasi spent six months in hospital wearing a mask to keep his skin moist while his face was being rebuilt, and has undergone a staggering 30 operations in the space of 25 years.
The brave survivor told The Sunday mirror:
When I meet people I knew from before the fire, that’s when the problems start, if they react badly and sympathise. I don’t want tears or sympathy. But I’m still here. I have my son. Most of the time I feel lucky.
The 58-year-old, a music producer from Ghana who had lived in the UK for two years, was buying records on the day of the fire.
Sadly, Kwasi has a 20-year-old son, Eugene, who suffers from autism and believes the condition was bought on due to the drama of the event.
Going into more depth about his horrific experience, he went on to say:
I started running, trying to escape. But I couldn’t. All the exits were blocked. I was trapped. I was still burning but I didn’t know how to put out the flames. I just knew that if I fell down I would be dead.
There were memorials over the weekend to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the disaster which was thought to have been caused by a discarded cigarette on the wooden escalators.
Until that time, smoking was permitted on London Underground trains.